Laurie Daley’s Health Transformation and NSW Blues’ Origin Strategy
NRL legend Laurie Daley has made a significant lifestyle change, shedding 8kg after quitting alcohol. His doctor warned him that he was at risk of serious health issues, prompting him to take action. The 56-year-old, who is widely regarded as one of the game’s greatest players during his 13-season stint with the Canberra Raiders, has also improved his diet since receiving this warning.
Daley’s weight had reached nearly 100kg before he decided to go teetotal. He shared with the Sydney Morning Herald that the decision came after being told he was “in danger of developing concerning conditions.” Since then, he has managed to drop below the weight he carried while playing 246 games for the Raiders, as well as representing NSW and Australia.
“My wife has asked me not to lose any more weight because she said it makes my nose look bigger,” Daley joked about his transformation.
This health overhaul is expected to benefit Daley as the NSW Blues coach prepares for the upcoming State of Origin series against Queensland. The first match of the rivalry will be played on May 27, and Daley is determined to avenge last year’s 2-1 loss.
“It took me a couple of weeks to get over it [the 2-1 loss]. We know what we did wrong and we have learned from it,” Daley said.
With the teams set to be announced on Monday, Daley is closely monitoring the availability of key players. Latrell Mitchell caused concern for the NSW camp when he injured himself in Souths’ loss to the Dolphins on Friday night. However, the Bunnies star is still expected to be selected despite his back issue.
The newly expanded six-man bench provides cover for Mitchell, ensuring there are options available if he needs to sit out training sessions.
Zac Lomax’s code switch and injuries to Jacob Kiraz, Tom Trbojevic, and Mark Nawaqanitawase have left the Blues short on elite wing options for Origin I. Josh Addo-Carr is emerging as a strong contender for a spot, alongside Penrith’s Brian To’o.
Addo-Carr has enjoyed a career resurgence since joining the Eels in 2025, earning selection in all three matches of Australia’s 3-0 Ashes whitewash last year. After the final day of Magic Round on Sunday, Daley will need to decide whether to stick with incumbent fullback Dylan Edwards or give the position to former Blues captain James Tedesco.
Several players are in contention for their Origin debut, including Jackson Ford, Addin Fonua-Blake, and Ethan Strange. Daley also faces a tough decision on which two of Hudson Young, Haumole Olakau’atu, Angus Crichton, and Jacob Preston should start in the second row.
Manly powerhouse Haumole Olakau’atu made a compelling case for a NSW recall, with speedster Tolutau Koula providing a timely reminder of his abilities in the Sea Eagles’ 46-18 victory over Wests Tigers on Saturday. Olakau’atu was in career-best form, terrorizing the Tigers’ defense on the right edge in what was a near-perfect performance at Suncorp Stadium.
It seems inevitable that Olakau’atu will soon add to the two State of Origin matches he played in 2024.
“I don’t think he can do any more. Haumole has been outstanding the whole season and our near-best player each and every week,” said Manly coach Kieran Foran.
“He thought the guys set the game up in the first 20 minutes, physically. There was plenty of intent and they got the reward.”













